5 Tips for speeding up your probate application
5 Tips for Speeding up Your Probate Application
The Probate application process has certainly had its challenges over the last few years. Delays in receiving a grant of Probate have become lengthier which has led to understandable frustration from bereaved families and Probate Specialists alike. But why has the backlog occurred and what can you do to speed up your Probate application?
What has caused the Probate backlog?
Unfortunately, what once took a few weeks could now sometimes take several months. There are a number of factors that have contributed to the current Probate backlog. Panic over proposed fee increases has prompted several surges in applications over the last few years and a number of local registries have closed. In addition, from January 2021 the Probate Registry rolled out a new online system which, according to some Probate professionals, has suffered a few teething problems.
Is there anything I can do to speed up my Probate application?
While the recent issues are beyond anyone’s control, there are some practical things you can do to help your Probate application move through the system as smoothly as possible.
- Get your documentation in order: make sure you have all the documents and information you will need to complete the relevant paperwork. For example, the person’s Will, National Insurance number, birth and death or marriage certificates, bank accounts, share certificates etc. If you’re scratching around for information it will inevitably delay your application.
- Pay attention to detail: Even a simple mistake could delay your Probate application unnecessarily. Omitting a signature, forgetting to enclose payment, putting the wrong address, not sending it recorded delivery – they’re all small but common mistakes that could cost you precious time.
- Be proactive: the clearer and more comprehensive the information you provide, the easier it will be to process your paperwork, especially with regards to Inheritance Tax (IHT). Be on the ball with getting prompt formal valuations and if the estate is above the IHT threshold (£325,000), make sure all the deceased’s assets are declared on the HMRC IHT400 form, so any tax due can be settled.
- Keep an eye on progress: knowing what has been or needs to be done and by when will help you stay on top of things. If you haven’t heard back from someone important (like an asset holder) within a set time frame, you may have to chase them up. A diary can help you keep things moving along in a timely manner.
- Use a professional: the easiest way to speed up the process is to have a Probate Specialist make the application on your behalf. As experts, they know exactly what to do and may be able to make a digital application (depending on the size of the estate) which is generally quicker than sending paperwork. Instructing a Probate professional can particularly useful if you are making an application regarding a larger or more complex estate.
Probate Extraction Services you can trust
At Laurelo, we offer a comprehensive Probate Extraction Service that takes the hassle out of applying for Probate. We’ll conduct a fact-finding consultation with the Executor or Administrator and then take care of all the paperwork and the submission process. With our experts on your side, you have the best chance of completing the Probate application as quickly and efficiently as possible.
This article is intended to provide information only and does not constitute legal advice. We do not accept any responsibility for any omission or loss as a result of this article.
PROBATE SERVICES LATEST NEWS
Family Name: Phillips Introducer: N/A Location: Cornwall Background My wife of 43 years sadly passed away after a short but strong battle with illness. The time leading up to her death and...
Family Name: N/A Introducer: Drew & Sons Funeral Directors Location: Essex Background We are a small funeral directors and recommend Laurelo to any of our families seeking help with probate...
Family Name: N/A Introducer: Steve Drury Location: Lincolnshire Background I first contacted Laurelo on Linkedin and I certainly haven’t regretted it. We put a couple of cases through Laurelo and we...
Patrick and Phillipa Vickery (Executor)
"When you lose a parent it’s an emotionally challenging time. Finding people to genuinely help with the mountain of subsequent issues is not easy. We dealt with Laurelo who took care of our Probate. Communicative and easy to talk to, Laurelo took away a bunch of stress and handled a complex estate excellently. I have no doubt that his experience has saved my family a significant tax burden."
C Hardman (Executor)
"Well informed, helpful and efficient throughout the whole probate journey. I was particularly impressed by the speed of response when I had questions"
V Garner (Executor)
"Thank you for dealing with the probate so efficiently. I would not hesitate to recommend your services in the future."
J Jackson (Executor)
"It has been my absolute pleasure to have met Michael and for him to act on my behalf, a wonderful, professional, caring person whose services I would recommend to anyone."
Peter Nash/Paula Cranmer (Executors)
"I would recommend Laurelo to anyone who needs good and sensible advice about the probate process at a very reasonable price."
A Wilson (Executor)
"I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Laurelo in what, at the outset felt like a daunting task, but in reality once explained to us and the burden of completing the forms taken away and completed by a professional the process was seamless."
Lorri Turner Senior Manager (Herongate Wood)
“I have always found Michael at Laurelo to be engaging, honest and supportive of the customers needs. The offer of a home visit to see clients within their own familiar surroundings further supports this. I have no difficulty in recommending their services."
G Perrett Will Protect Ltd & Executor
“Michael's professionalism and knowledge of every aspect of probate is only matched by his sensitivity and patience. He instinctively knows what to say and when to say it and I am so grateful to him for helping me navigate the most difficult period of my life so far safe in the knowledge that I could simply "park" this part of the process and leave it with him to "sort out"."
K Whittle (Executor)
“They provided a professional and emphatic approach and took all the stress away from dealing with probate. Filing the forms very promptly and the whole process was dealt with in just over a month. I would highly recommend and I again thank them for their help."
Mr. A Browne (Executor)
“The pricing point is good and in line with a few others, we found however for the service we received I do not think we could have put a price on it.
We would wholeheartedly recommend Michael and his team."
John F Smith (Executor)
“I was most satisfied with the service he provided, and his gentle and considerate manner was most comforting at a difficult time in my life."
Robert Evans (Executor)
“I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to Michael for the way in which he managed the probate arrangements at what was a very difficult time for myself and the family. Whilst always professional and efficient he was very sensitive and supportive - explaining things clearly and making the whole process (which was totally new to us) that much more straightforward. It took a load off our minds and he progressed things really quickly Thank you"